The ability to delegate deliberately and effectively is critical to a leader's success. Delegating work helps team members apply their strengths, develop their weaknesses, and connect to their passions. Delegating work also allows the leader to focus on leading.
This course helps leaders define which tasks should be assigned to others and how to best delegate those tasks. You will learn to consider your team members' abilities and motivation, and you will learn a consistent framework for delegation that helps ensure required business results are achieved.
Benefits for the Individual
Enhanced ability to delegate work more effectively by:
- Completing an assessment of a team member's ability and motivation to complete the work
- Applying the right delegation style based on the team member's ability and motivation
- Applying a framework to clearly state expectations related to a task
- Assessing progress with sufficient detail and frequency according to the team member's ability and motivation
- Identifying potential obstacles and strategies to overcome obstacles when assigning tasks
- Using a four-step process to teach a new skill to team members who have never completed the task before
Benefits for the Organization
- Increased likelihood of achieving organization's strategic goals
- Improved ability to plan and utilize resources
- Enhanced employee engagement
- Improved capacity to lead a diverse workforce
- Enhanced leadership capabilities to sustain an effective and efficient working climate
What You'll Learn
- The importance of effectively delegating work to others
- Apply your knowledge of your team members to effectively delegate and follow up to ensure work is getting done
Who Needs to Attend
Leaders at all levels: vice presidents, directors, managers, supervisors, team leaders, and project managers
Prework for this course should be completed one week in advance and brought to class.
- Motivate for Full Engagement
- Communicate. Communicate. Communicate.
- Provide Feedback to Gain Momentum
- Coach. Coach. Coach.
1. More or Less
- Determining which of the four suggested responses are 'more or less' correct in delegation scenario
2. Delegation Model
3. Case Scenarios
- Applying the Delegation Model to two scenarios
4. Over to You!
- Using situations identified in your pre-work, apply the Delegation Model and delegation styles
5. Teaching New Skills
- When and how to adopt a teaching style,
- Detailed instructions and guidelines on how to do a task
- Four step approach to teaching new tasks
6. Using Influence to Engage Others
- Best practice approaches to influence others in a work environment